Dlugopole-Zdroj -> History

 History

First mentions of Dlugopole come from the 14th century. They concern Dlugopole Dolne, which developed into a spa at the beginning of the 19th century. In 1802, the spring of mineral water “Emilia”, discovered 200 years earlier during a cave-in in a local mine, was encompassed in a stone channel. Around that time, first resort houses and therapeutic mud baths were built. In 1839, dr Hancke from Wroclaw purchased the health resort part of Dlugopole and created a spa that was able to compete with older spas located in the Klodzka Land. Two more springs of therapeutic water were discovered. The spa developed until 1939. During WWII it was converted into a military hospital. The spa was reopened after the war. In 1956, the therapeutic profile was changed. Dlugopole was administratively separated from Dlugopole Dolne, thereby becoming an independent town. It even served as the commune’s seat for a short time.

History of Dlugopole Zdroj History of Dlugopole Zdroj History of Dlugopole Zdroj
History of Dlugopole Zdroj History of Dlugopole Zdroj History of Dlugopole Zdroj
History of Dlugopole Zdroj History of Dlugopole Zdroj History of Dlugopole Zdroj
History of Dlugopole Zdroj History of Dlugopole Zdroj History of Dlugopole Zdroj
History of Dlugopole Zdroj History of Dlugopole Zdroj History of Dlugopole Zdroj

 

History of Dlugopole Zdroj:

1381 - On the area of today’s health-resort, probably at the mouth of the Bukowa Valley there was a mill owned by the von Glubos family.

1563 - The residents of Wroclaw start to mine alum in the area of Dlugopole Zdroj.

1568 - An adit is open in the alum mine named “Gab Gottes” (“The Tread of God”) belonging to the Wroclaw department store.

1590 - Alum is not longer mined.

5.06.1622 - The uprising of serves from Dlugopole and surrounding villages under Bystrzyca, which was bloodily suppressed by the Lisowczycy – the lost men.

1648 - Harmful carbon dioxide of strong concentration appears in the adit.

1648 - The water flows out in the mine working (from the depth of 14-20m) and it is used by local people for drinking and bathing as well as to prepare fizzy drinks with wine and sugar.

Around 1680 - Dlugopole is ravaged by plague.

1762 - A local miller, Wolf, places a wooden channel for capturing the water and a bath tub in a neighbouring house.

1798 - The first water intake in a stone channel forming a spring named “Emilia” and the first analyses of water by a Silesian geologist, Dr. Ohm.

1802 - Bringing and assembly of the first cast iron bath tubes.

1819 - The first spa building is erected over “Emilia” Spring. Dr. Lengfeld becomes the first spa medical doctor.

1819 - The first bathing institution (bathrooms) having 12 cabinets with wooden bath tubes was opened owing to the fact that the Town Council of Bystrzyca Klodzka becomes interested in it (that was in the place of today’s “Dabrowka” Sanatorium).

1819 - The Spa Park is created at the height of today’s Lesna Street.

1827 - The second guest house for patients is built.

1830 - There is a walking colonnade playing the role of a water pump-room (in the place of today’s cinema and theatre building).

1830 - Bathrooms for peat baths are built with three rooms (in the place of today’s “Karol” Natural Therapy Institute) and “Fortuna” Guest House.

1834 - A new, brick spa house with rooms for treatment procedures, residential rooms, a canteen, a dancing hall, a wine bar, a billiards room and a play room is built in the place of the former bathrooms (now “Dabrowka” sanatorium).

1835 - A chemist named Fischer performs the analysis of water from „Emilia” Spring and names the water as “szczawa żelazista” meaning a ferriferous sorrel (a mineral water saturated with free carbon dioxide (CO2) in excess of 1000 mg/dm³).

1839 - Dr. Julius Hancke from Wrocław purchases the whole health-resort for 7.5 thousand thalers starting a period of prosperity in its history.

1840 - Hancke moves lower and expands the Spa Park. A wooden building over “Emilia” Spring is replaced by a Gothic-style small pavilion which is the first water pump-room.

1840 - The construction of a roofed walking hall which included a mineral water pump-room and a confectionery (now “Zdrojowa” Café).

1845 - A. Duflos discovers layers of peat on a meadow under Wronka and analyses the peat.

1846 - The erection of a new walking colonnade in the place of the old one (the front of today’s cinema and theatre building).

1850 - 1851 - The construction of new bathrooms with six rooms where marble bath tubes were assembled (now “Karol” Natural Therapy Institute).

1870 - Dlugopole is affected by the epidemic of smallpox.

1870 - 1871 - The extension of the Natural Therapy Institute (bathrooms) up to 40 rooms.

1872 - The transformation of the Spa House into “Fortuna” Inn with 34 rooms.

1875 - Leading of a railway road from Klodzko to Miedzylesie and the construction of a 360-meter long railway tunnel.

1875 - The extension of the Spa Park by surrounding woods. The preparation of the East Park was started.

1876 - The construction of a post office equipped with a telegraph.

1875 - 1876 - The very elegant “Elisenhof” Guest House was built (the present ruined “Piast” Sanatorium).

15.02.1876 - A new spring of mineral water was discovered at the promenade, which was named “Eliza” Spring (now “Kazimierz”) on 11th June by Professor Heinrich Robert Goeppert. The analysis proved the content of iron of 5 mgr.

1878 - The Spa park and the lower lime promenade were extended.

End of 19th century - Some new guest houses were opened. The development of free areas with bowers, alleys, view points and benches.

1880 - The transformation of the walking colonnade into a bazaar.

1882 - A railway station was built next to the tunnel.

1883 - Dr. Theodor Polek carries out a precise chemical analysis of the “Emilia” Spring water content.

1892 - A Polish man, Dr. Zakrzewski, comes to live in the health-resort.

1893 - The construction of the Evangelical Church funded by the Foundation of Gustav Adolf and the Countess von Richthofen.

1896 - Dr. Zakrzewski leaves the health-resort and Dr. Wojciech Grabowski from Poznań replaces him.

30.07.1897 - Dlugopole is affected by a small flood which causes minor damage.

1900 - The first electric flower clock in Prussia.

1903 - 7089 treatment procedures were performed.

1904 - 8410 treatment procedures were performed. 1870 people came to Dlugopole.

1905 - 9571 mineral baths were performed. 2140 people came to the health-resort.

1906 - 2896 people came to Dlugopole for treatment.

1909 - Drilling of another, the most efficient spring of all, named “Renata”.

1910 - The performances of actors from Vienna in the first Out-Door Theatre on Silesia.

1938 - The Nysa Klodzka River floods the Health-Resort.

1939 - 1945 - The Health-Resort suspends its activity and is transformed into a military hospital for soldiers from the eastern front line.

10.05.1945 - The liberation of Dlugopole by the Soviet Army.

1945 - Placing a guarding point of the Borderline Protection Army in the Health-Resort.

1945 - 1947 - Dlugopole bears the name of Dluzewo.

1946 - The first patients come here and the spa activity is renewed (Dlugopole has 40 places in sanatoria).

1956 - Changing of the treatment profile in Dlugopole.

1958 - 1964 - Restoration and modernisation of “Karol” Natural Therapy Institute, renovation and extension of sanatoria.

10.05.1960 - Unveiling of a memorial stone on the occasion of the 15th anniversary of Dlugopole Zdroj liberation by the Soviet Army.

1962 - The fire of Sanatorium no. 2 (now “Mieszko” sanatorium). The roof and the chapel bell-tower burnt.

1964 - The pump-room over “Emilia” Spring is demolished and replaced by a concrete terrace.

1965 - 1970 - The Spa Park was renovated.

1966 - Dlugopole and Ladek merged in one administrative and organisational complex.

1986 - The Society of Dlugopole Zdroj Lovers is established. The first St. John’s Festival is held within the Dlugopole Days.

1992 - The collapse of the Workers’ Holiday Fund in Dlugopole Zdroj.

6 - 7.07.1997 - The flood of the century comes to Dlugopole and causes vast damage.

1999 - The construction of a new footbridge on the Nysa Klodzka River which was once damaged by the flood.

3 - 24.08.2003 - The “ART-EX” International Sculpture Location was held in Dlugopole Zdroj.

Author: Maciej Piasecki


Copyright © 2013 Uzdrowisko Ladek-Dlugopole S.A. All rights reserved